How to echo a message to an IP#

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Jul 4 15:49:35 MST 2011

WazUp Joe?

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 12:29 PM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> How can I echo a message to another computer on my wireless system?

Yes you can setup a nice centralized syslogd, syslog-ng or rsyslogd
(depending on your distro) with each of the systems configured to send klogd
messages to all hosts for instance in an emergency, or whatever you define.

Further you can setup SSL encryption for the log messages in your local
network (although this is really not required since your firewall is your
bastion of trust).
*
What is your distro and version?*

> When I do a 'shutdown' it sends a notification message to every computer
> on my system. What command or syntax could I use to send some other kind
> of alert or message from one computer to another on the same network?

Examples of regular configuration:

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch05_:_Troubleshooting_Linux_with_syslog
http://www.softpanorama.org/Logs/syslog.shtml

Other References: