recommend serial-to-usb adapter?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Jan 26 13:55:42 MST 2011

I haven't hit a random off-brand usb to serial adapter in years that
linux *didn't* recognize and *just work*.  I prefer the $22 dollar dual
usb serial adapter you can get from frys, as I'm typically deploying
network hardware in mass and need multiple at a time.  I have an 8 port
brick usb-to-serial I sniped off ebay cheap as well that is just plug
and play too.  For the most part, they all seem to use the same Prolific
(no pun intended) chipset, or some variant thereof.

Long story short, I think you're probably safe - as stated, the drivers
are very robust these days.

-mb