(OT) Need Some Expert Network Advice

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sat Jan 22 09:44:03 MST 2011

Hi Mark and Jordan,

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Jordan Aberle <jordan.aberle at gmail.com>wrote:

> Have you tried this?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/luwroy

This is HOT!

Excerpt:

The one big thing Google Voice doesn't offer, besides automated telemarketer
taunting, is free voice-over-internet phone calling through your cellphone.
On an Android phone, however, you can use the Gizmo5
service<http://gizmo5.com/>,
Google Voice, and a free application to call anyone for free.

A free, open-source, and unofficial Android app,
Guava<http://gizmo5.com/guava.html?loc=guava>,
gives any Android phone the ability to make and take calls over Gizmo5's
VoIP service, connected through a Google Voice phone number. It works over
Wi-Fi, 3G, or, for the daring, EDGE. You probably won't want to use Guava as
your primary phone call manager, as the call quality varies with your
connection and really works best over Wi-Fi. That said, if you're running up
against your minute allotment, or find yourself in a basement-like spot with
decent Wi-Fi but really bad cell coverage, Guava is a great little tool to
have at your disposal.

It's also worth noting that, depending on who your carrier is, making a VoIP
call over an EDGE or 3G network may violate your contract's terms of
service. A little "hard" data use now and then likely won't be noticed, but
if you plan on using Guava heavily with your cellular data plan, you should
check and read into what's tolerated and what's not before embarking on your
bold data-only adventure.
Mark, will you let us know how it goes?

> [...]
> > when I had my Blackberrys - I could talk all day in the office and not
> use
> > any minutes. All of this is above board with T-Mobile - I actually pay a
> low
> > monthly fee for unlimited WiFi calling.
> >
> > Anyway, much to my chagrin, I discovered yesterday that I had gone way
> over
> > my plan minutes. I checked with T-Mobile, and none of my calls had gone
> over
> > WiFi. The agent refunded all the charges for the over-plan minutes and
> gave
> > me extra minutes to get through the rest of the month. She sent me to
> > technical support, and we could not get my phone to make calls over my
> WiFi
> > network. Even though the phone says I am connected to WiFi. So, I went to
> > the T-Mobile corporate store in Fashion Square, and the manager (she has
> the
> > same phone) and I tried to connect to the mall WiFi, and we could connect
> > the mall WiFi, but could not make WiFi calls. Same error - could not
> connect
> > to T-Mobile network.  I then tried to make a WiFi call at Starbucks, and
> it
> > worked! It also worked at Barnes and Noble after I agreed to the free
> > Internet terms and services (didn't work before then).
> >
> > I googled for issues with WiFi calls with this phone, and found a lot of
> > them. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The error message that
> > pops up says the phone cannot connect to the T-Mobile network. T-Mobile
> is
> > aware of the issue, but does not have a fix or ETA for one.
> >
> > One posting had this to say about the WiFi calling.....
> >
> > The WiFi Calling app is Kineto's WiFi Calling app branded for T-Mobile.
>  The
> > WiFi Calling app is an implementation of 3GPP GAN, which allows something
> on
> > the Internet to get into a cellular network and do stuff (in this case,
> make
> > and receive calls).If you care to pull up the most recent version of the
> > spec, linked above, you'll find that "registering" (ie, logging into home
> > base) involves these steps (get a glass of warm milk and see 8.4.1.6) ...
> >
> > 1) Performing a DNS query to get the address of thing it's trying to
> connect
> > to (if necessary)
> >
> > 2) Setting up an IPSec tunnel to thing resolved in step 1 (called a SEGW)
> >
> >  3) Resolving and connecting to (using TCP over the tunnel setup in step
> 2)
> > yet another thing called a GANC
> >
> > 4) Sending the GANC a "register request", which includes your phone's
> IMSI,
> > information about the cell you're currently connected to, or last
> connected
> > to if no longer connected, and other stuff

This is a capacity and QoS issue on the other side.  Get another app.

--

(503) 754-4452
(623) 688-3392

 http://www.obnosis.com