EMACS (remote GUI apps)

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Jan 21 13:11:51 MST 2011

From: James Mcphee <jmcphe at gmail.com>
> So something like this
[snip pretty accurate description of pros and cons of various remote-access
things]
> NXserver
> I haven't used it

NXServer + NXClient:

Pro: very fast, can do whole desktop or single app, can encrypt all traffic
(IIRC)
Con: not free speech, only free beer, setup is much more complex than VNC or
X11--it took me two days to get the silly thing working properly
Prereqs:  NXClient on local box, NXServer on remote box, a TCP channel between
the two boxes.  IIRC, you can set the port# to whatever you want, which is
convenient for those with big iptables rulesets or a firewall they don't
control between the two boxes.

> if I need a full desktop for some reason (to keep apps up, whatever),
> I bring up an X session in an xvfb and then shoot myself a VNC
> session over the ssh tunnel.

xvfb!  It just keeps coming up....  I remember some guy who needed to run some
app that absolutely refused to come up if it couldn't find a Display.
xorg.conf with Monitor and Keyboard set to "none" didn't work either.  This
app needed to run on a machine with no monitor/keyboard.  xvfb to the rescue.
I had never tried to get at the virtual X with VNC; may try that in my Copious
Free Time.  It seems so obvious now.

Keeping GUI apps persistent and/or moving their Displays from one machine to
another really hasn't been worked on that much.  Probably because it's got so
many very annoying details and inescapable performance problems, and so few
people seem to want to do that with their GUI apps.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows