EMACS (remote GUI apps)

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Jan 21 09:42:58 MST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net>wrote:

> From: gk <gm5729 at gmail.com>
> [snip]
> > I'm wondering [if a GUI Emacs can] be backgrounded like Screen or
> > Tmux and then reattached if something needs to be done remotely.
>
> Sort of, but it's not great in most circumstances.  If you can deal with
> having 2 X servers allow TCP, and compiling and running xmove, you can take
> an
> X app using the Display of one box, then move it to the Display of another
> box.  The downside is that graphics performance slows to a crawl for just
> about everything, especially programs using GTK for some reason.
>
> Running a VNC server like TightVNC is a bit faster, and is better for many
> uses since you don't need X and all its baggage, just a VNC client, which
> is
> available for many platforms.  It's still slower than I'd like, and you can
> get odd problems like keys getting stuckkkkkkk.
>
> The fastest remote-access GUI I've used across a slow link is NXServer and
> NXClient.  This is not Free speech, but it's free beer.  If you really need
> it
> to be fast and accessible from anywhere, though, screen plus your favorite
> console editor is still the best choice.
>
> Comments, suggestions, and flying attack porcupines welcome.

Great post!

I fully agree that VNC is vastly superior in speed alone to the full blown X
of our old Sun/Linux (Dot Com startup - dial up ISP administration) days,
with all it's snafus (ever had your X session
highjacked<http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/wiki/index.php/The_Mitnick_attack>by
the Support staff (you managed)?  No? I have..... [very funny you
guys])...

However, our concept of speed cannot be considered without also,
considering, in a non-linear way, security?  We assume that you architect
OSI security protection (VLAN exclusion or strict network switch port ACL
controls) since VNC password exchange can easily be
snooped<http://www.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc-list/2003-September/040950.html>,
not to mention all command intercepted!

X is incredibly insecure and network taxing, as well as limited.  And SSH
with screen, with console editor is better, although still
MITM<http://www.signedness.org/tools/>able (and who limits SSH between
servers and the support staff?
http://www.signedness.org/tools/

SSLStrip will take your local https back to text, not that you are using
webmin or anything <http://g0tmi1k.blogspot.com/2010/04/video-pwnos.html>?

But, yes, we like it fast, from our slow Cox Wifi connections, which
cantrivially be brute
forced<http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=cracking_wpa>by our
neighbor kids....hopefully they won't get a clue what all those root
Nix commands mean?

> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows
> The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.org/wordpress/
> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

(503) 754-4452
(623) 688-3392

 http://www.obnosis.com