fixing apt

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Thu Jan 20 22:33:02 MST 2011

I think you are confusing the -f in apt-get with something else.
 From the man page:
-f, --fix-broken
Fix; attempt to correct a system with broken dependencies in place. This
option, when used with
install/remove, can omit any packages to permit APT to deduce a likely
solution. If packages are specified,
these have to completely correct the problem. The option is sometimes
necessary when running APT for the
first time; APT itself does not allow broken package dependencies to
exist on a system. It is possible that
a system's dependency structure can be so corrupt as to require manual
intervention (which usually means
using dselect(1) or dpkg --remove to eliminate some of the offending
packages). Use of this option together
with -m may produce an error in some situations. Configuration Item:
APT::Get::Fix-Broken.

There is a force option in apt-get but you have to type out
"--force-yes" there is no single letter equivalent.

Are you possibly thinking about the -f (force-ignore nonexistant files,
never prompt) option in rm?

Brian Cluff