Backup

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 15:08:37 MST 2011

In linux there are so many options its almost mindnumbing. for windows
the list of options gets more surreal.

i know free file sync is a multi-platform sync with some batch
abilities that i use on my windows machine. but for linux i look at
the specifc folders i need to replace, then use rsync or tar -blah in
cron (set up via webmin)

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:
> From: "Eric - A" <ericallen3 at juno.com>
>> What is a simple program to do full and incremental backups of my
>> hard drive? I'm running Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> I wouldn't back up the whole disk, just because Linux and most of the apps on
> it are relatively easy and quick to reinstall.  I plug a USB2 drive in, mount
> it on /mnt/backup/ , then use "rsync -a --delete-after /home/mhgraham/
> /mnt/backup/" every few days.[0]  I rotate those disks so I've always got one
> at home and another offsite in a reasonably secure place.  My ~ contains all
> the data that'd be annoying, difficult, or impossible to replace.  I can
> recreate the config files in /etc without much pain.  Initial sync on each
> disk took over an hour.  Incremental syncs take 3-4 minutes.
>
> Note that YMMV, and you should change your backup plan if you've got more
> complicated stuff going on, or commercial apps that require license keys, or
> junk like that.  But if you can install a distro, the bootloader and
> executables are much much easier to recover in case of disk failure than your
> collection of financial data, your Great American Novel first draft, or all
> your custom Perl scripts.
>
> I've had reasonable luck using partimage to back up and restore a partition
> containing 'DozeXP.  I had to manually gunzip the image files it created
> before the restore would work, though, and I hope they've fixed that problem
> in the latest release.
>
> [0] It's a little bit more complex than that, but it's all in 2 bash scripts
> that both fit on one screen, and that rsync is the main thing that can't be
> eliminated.
>
> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows
> The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.org/wordpress/
> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

Stephen