OT: Cygwin - ssh server not allowing port forward

Bryan O'Neal Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com
Fri Jan 7 14:33:11 MST 2011

I am running a service on windows I need my clients to connect to. The
service works but traffic is unencrypted. As such I set up cygwin and
sshd. I can ssh in and then telnet on the loclhost (windows sever at
this point) and it works. When I set up the port forward from my
clients it also works. But when I try to push traffic down the tunnel
I get the error. Error is the same on windows and linux clients.

On 1/7/11, Judd Pickell <pickell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you on the same network? If going over the internet not all
> carriers allow ssh through. If testing on the internal network then
> likely it is the Windows Firewall like JD said.
>
> Sincerely,
> Judd Pickell
>
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Bryan O'Neal
> <Bryan.ONeal at theonealandassociates.com> wrote:
>> So I have a windows boxes (Hence why this is OT) using openSSH server
>> via cygwin. But when I try and do port forwarding to this box I get a
>> nasty error. Let me be specific
>>
>> I set up the forward fine
>> ssh -f user at remote.host -p ssh_listning_port -L
>> local_forward_port:remote.host:destination_port -N
>>
>> So that works fine, but when I go to actually use the tunnel I get
>>
>> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Operation not permitted
>>
>> What up?  The server has AllowTcpForwarding yes

Sent from my mobile device