Dist-hopping experimentation time!

gm5729 gm5729 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 12:08:14 MST 2011

>   9. Dist-hopping experimentation time! (Stephen)
>  10. Re: Dist-hopping experimentation time! (JD Austin)
>  11. Re: Dist-hopping experimentation time! (Eric Shubert)
>  12. Re: Dist-hopping experimentation time! (Ted Gould)
>  13. Re: Dist-hopping experimentation time! (Stephen)
>  14. Re: Dist-hopping experimentation time! (Stephen)

Arch Linux has been mainly what I have used, 99%, during the past 2-3
years. There are 7 main configuration files, one is the primary out of
those. It has the BSD rc.d style, as long as a tar meets the
dependencies pacman/packer will handle it. AUR is the place where all
the 3rd party scripts are placed to build applications. Most seem to
be from sourceforge. For it being a rolling release it beats any
distro hands down for stability. I have NEVER had a serious issue with
the distro as a whole. It is not a beginners distro, it will NOT hold
your hand, and if you have not read the wikis you will NOT get
assistance in IRC. On the other hand if you come in as an informed
Linux user there is tons of help, and guidance. Arch does not believe
in tampering with the product that comes from upstream so there will
rarely be patches unless absolutely necessary. I dig it, you may too.

vp