How to rename a file with a leading hyphen?

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 20:31:06 MST 2011

Is this a permissions issue?

------------------------

Keith Smith

--- On Mon, 2/28/11, Kevin Fries <kfries6 at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Kevin Fries <kfries6 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: How to rename a file with a leading hyphen?
To: "Main PLUG discussion list" <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Date: Monday, February 28, 2011, 8:19 PM

Put the filenames in single, not double, quotes.
Kevin
On Feb 28, 2011 8:13 PM,  <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

When I download images and ".MOV" files from digikam

the file names all have a leading hyphen. I've been

able to convert -filename.png files to filename.jpg

but when I try to use 'mv' to rename -filename.MOV files

to filename.MOV or filename.mov without the leading

hyphen, it does not work.

How can I rename these .MOV files to remove the leading

hyphen (-) and to change the .MOV suffix to .mov ?

Also, how can I convert .MOV or .mov files to a more

efficient file format that is not such a huge file?

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----