SCaLE9x redux

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Feb 28 13:28:27 MST 2011

moin moin,

hope everyone made it home safe and sound from SCaLE9x!

It was a great event. Lots of great talks. Good vendor area. Lots of good
people. At least 1600 attended. I'm tired :).

What talks do you recommend we see?

Education: Jim Klein's talk was great. Over 10% of the audience for
his talk was from Arizona :). We might be getting him to come over for
ABLEconf.

http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale9x/presentations/take-advantage-modern-perl

Community/Mentoring: Spot's talk was great.

http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale9x/presentations/why-you-fail

Perl: chromatic's talk helped gel a few Perl things for me.

http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale9x/presentations/take-advantage-modern-perl

Community/Mentoring: Deb's talk was useful.

http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale9x/presentations/building-free-software-groups

Community/Mentoring: Amber and Robyn's talk ended up confirming many
things we're not doing for ABLEconf.

http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale9x/presentations/two-girls-one-talk-thelma-and-louise-approach-marketing-your-linux-distribution

Sysadmin/Devops: I didn't expect to get anything out of the byobu talk,
but after seeing it, I'm definitely going to have to give byobu another
try. I like the concept of a wrapper for GNU screen and I now see value in
how byobu does it.

http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale9x/presentations/byobu-gnu-screen-human-beings

I heard enthusiastic recommendations for Leigh Honeywell's keynote and for
the IPv6 talk.

There are several talks I couldn't get to due to conflicts with other
talks, so I'm glad SCaLE has everything online for us to see. Now I just
need 20 hours to watch it all :).

You need to allow javascript and flash from conferencesbywire.com to view
the videos.

Are there videos of the lightning talks somewhere?

ciao,

der.hans
#  ABLEconf - 2011Apr02 - Free Software for Free Enterprise
#  "The babys blood type? Human, mostly."  -- Orson Scott Card