PHP Problem

Kevin Fries kfries6 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 12:04:44 MST 2011

On 02/28/2011 11:57 AM, Nathan England wrote:
> I have a serious problem. I cannot run _anything_ php...
>
> I have an LFS system I use for running various test php things. I have
> done a fresh install of php 5.3.5 and apache 2.2.17. I created an
> index.php with
>
> <?php phpinfo(); ?>
>
> and it returns as expected, all looks good. However, when I run the
> following I get a segmentation fault and I cannot figure this out
> after 3 days!!!!!
> This has to be soooo  stupidly simple I am over-looking something.
> What is wrong?
>
> Offending Code:
>
> <?php
>   if (isset($_POST['LogInName'])){
>     $Name = $_POST['name'];
>     echo "Congratulations, $Name.";
>   }
> ?>
>
> <form method="post" name="LogInName" id="LogInName" class="searchform">
> <input name="LogInName" type="submit" value="Login">
> </form>
>
> That is all. I open the page, type in my name and upon clicking submit
> I get a Chrome error. Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): Unknown error.
>
> Firefox wants to download the php page afterwards. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated! This system is no different from any other LFS
> system. I created an LFS system and backed up the entire system to a
> tar file. When I reload the system, or a new system, I decompress that
> tar file and then build whatever software I need on it. I've never had
> a problem in the past, so I am not completely stumped! This is
> something so basic, I must have simply missed something trivial...
> which is obviously not so trivial! Anything come to mind?

Just for S&G

Have you tried sending a standard HTTP header?

My first thoughts... Apache sees the HTML in the first request, and
sends the proper mime type.  On the second request, all it sees is text,
and sends back a mime type as binary content.  Thus the reason Firefox
wants to download it.  Chrome is most likely trying to be smarter about
it, and failing miserably.

Have you tried accessing the page with fields completed from curl?  That
should give you more information.

Sorry I can't be more help, just trying to state my initial thoughts.

Kevin