Need Help to Fix Stale NFS File Handle

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sun Feb 27 17:50:19 MST 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2011, at 6:33 PM, Mark Phillips wrote:
>

> > On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 25, 2011, at 4:35 PM, Mark Phillips wrote:
> >
> > > What if I just delete the files that have stale NFS file handles and
> re-install them?
> > >
> > > Mark
> >
> > Then you have no idea if the problem will recur or not.  (If it happened
> once, it probably will again.)  Did you ever check if you have automount
> running?
> >
> > Take a look for automount's config files and see if anything seems
> familiar.
> > $ ls /etc/auto*
> >
> > hammerhead:/home/mark# ls /etc/auto*
> > ls: cannot access /etc/auto*: No such file or directory
> >
> > $ cat /etc/auto.master
> > Don't have one of those beasts...It doesn't look as if I have automount
> running.
> >
> > Could the stale file handles be caused by the disk controller card
> failing? And then installing a new card?
> >

> The times that I've seen "stale file handle" errors, it's always been on an
> NFS client after something problematic has happened on the NFS server.
>  Usually it means the client is asking for an inode which no longer exists,
> or something like that.  If you're getting this error while accessing a
> local filesystem, I really have no idea how.
>
> Can you start with the disk where your images reside, and map out how
> they're accessed?  Which disk are they on, which partition, which linux
> device (/dev/sda2), which mount point, any symlinks involved, etc?  Try to
> find any possible way you might be using NFS (perhaps your single machine is
> acting as client & server?).

Two disks in one computer. Mount shows:
mark at hammerhead:~$ mount
/dev/hda5 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hdb1 on /backups type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
mark at hammerhead:~$

/dev/hdb1 is the disk with the photos. I use to use it as a backup drive,
hence the name of the mount point, but not anymore.

/dev/hda has the OS and everything else. I do not know where these came
from:
rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

The program gallery (a php photo web app) resides on /var/www/gallery. There
is a symlink from /var/www/gallery/var to /backups/gallery3/var/ - this is
where the pictures live. The program is in /var/www/gallery (standard
installation spot for gallery).

All the pictures were uploaded from CD to /backups/gallery3/var and
displayed correctly for several months.

Then, the disk controller died, I added a new one, and it all seemed to be
working except for a couple of the images, which cannot be accessed.
Presumably due to the NFS stale file handle.

Gallery does not use NFS. I don't use NFS on my network.

Thanks!

Mark