Using KDE but want something different

mz mz at infomagic.net
Fri Feb 25 07:00:14 MST 2011

On Sunday 20 February 2011 11:12:38 mz wrote:
> I'm looking for a replacement desktop. Currently I'm using KDE v4.4.4. It
> has way too many bells and whistles for my needs, and there doesn't seem
> to be a way to turn them off.
>
> I keep an extremely clean desktop with almost nothing on it. There are a
> few links to frequently accessed files or directories, but that's about
> it. At times I will temporarily store files on the desktop before deciding
> whether or where to store them. I do almost everything through the
> application launcher menu and the file manager.
>
> My perfect desktop would be similar to the old Windows XP with a simple
> task bar and system tray. There would be simple icons, no widgets and no
> plasma workspaces. The file manager would be similar to the old Program
> Manager in Windows 3.1 with only a tree directory and files always
> displayed with a detailed view and absolutely no folder views.
>
> Is there such a thing any more? If not, what's the closest to it?
>
> TIA,
> Mark Z.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying Xfce, which seems to be exactly what
I'm looking for.

I've installed Xfce as part of my current installation, and I've been
selecting it at the log-in for my account. (My distro is openSuse 11.3.)
However, a glitch has cropped up with videos. Many times when video viewing
software is closed, the system crashes and kicks me out to the log-in screen.
Since I'm pretty happy with Xfce, I think I'll try a separate install with
Xfce as the only desktop environment, and then see what happens.

Mark Z.