Security-related question

ChasM Marshall chasm750 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 24 12:36:04 MST 2011

Jim,

  ProcMon is a great tool, but if you suspect hardware/firmware attacks:
Google "RootKitUnhooker"
  I used RkU3.8.388.590.rar and am really impressed.

  Found an infected Dell system that showed BIOS fan-speed errors on POST
until the virus was un-hooked and then cleaned (using Malwarebytes).
It also had multiple ATAPI errors, and other nasties, indicating that
the virus was embedded (hooked) into non-volatile memory.  It's funny
that some of these hooks are okay with Microsoft Corp.

  Any O.S. internals-type virus running within a Linux VM box may not be of any use.
This is because all your hardware is still exposed.
These new attacks are fun to research.  The Doze monitor tools are improving.
Fun, fun, fun.

  (-:  Chas.M.  :-)