Programing help read USB Joystick using gcc

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Wed Feb 23 18:45:45 MST 2011

Sounds like what you need to do is very similar to writing a custom driver for your joystick in an embedded environment.
You'll probably need to do something similar to the following:
1) A library for usb interface in your environment
  a) libusb provides a low-level interface to USB data for Linux, but it requires the Linux kernel to provide the host controller drivers.
  b) If you aren't developing under Linux, then check with your SBC vendor about drivers for their USB host controller.
2) If your environment doesn't already have a driver for your joystick, you need to find out what the joystick sends for commands and data; there are two common ways of doing this
  a) Pull up a Linux driver for the joystick (if one exists) and use that code to determine the USB command and data structures (easier)
  b) use a USB snoop device to reverse-engineer the interface for your joystick (much harder)
3) Write the code needed to interface with the joystick
  a) If you do not already have a driver available, write a driver for your environment, and connect that to your ROV control code.
  b) Write code using libusb that interfaces with your joystick using an existing Linux driver.

This page is a good starting point for developing any USB interface code, whether in Linux or otherwise:
http://www.linux-usb.org/

Hopefully that helps.