Need Suggestions on Improving WifI Reception

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 17:28:06 MST 2011

Mark, you don't just need a better access point, you also need better
antennas.  Linksys routers blow chunks because the antennas aren't connected
to standard screw-in connections.  You want something that takes standard
oversize antennas, usually the "SMC" type.

Your Linksys router at best has a pair of 3db antennas.  Stick a pair of 7db
or 9db on there and whoa, no more troubles.

Personally I like Hawking wifi gear - everything is set up to allow massive
oversize antennas.  Last I checked Fry's Electronics has the whole Hawking
and Trendnet product lines.  I set up an extended range wifi install in
Tucson recently using a pair of Trendnet 7db antennas on a single base:

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=140_TEW-AI77OB&cat=68

...plugged into a Hawking N-class access point.  Punched through multiple
3ft-thick interior walls in this ancient adobe building :).  Whole thing
cost $108 total with tax :).  I could have done a pair of 9db antennas
plugged straight into the access point but this was a cleaner install, the
Trendnet "base" could be bolted to the wall fairly high up, which
compensated (I think) for the slightly reduced raw punch.

You want omnidirectional antennas rather than directional types for your
needs!

You MIGHT be able to find adapters allowing oversize antennas on the router
you've got, but it's still an N-class device.  I'd jump to N-class plus
standard connectors to oversize antennas.

Jim