Programing help read USB Joystick using gcc

Mike Bushroe mbushroe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 16:43:12 MST 2011

     I have been trying unsuccessfully for some time to figure out how to
read the analog axes and digital buttons on one or more USB joysticks
connected to a computer with an open source programming language like C
compiled by gcc. I have no idea what library needs to be added, if any. I
also have no idea what the function call names or parameters are. I have
tried Googling USB Joystick, but mostly what I find is how to convert an
older game console into a USB device. Can someone point me to required
libraries, header files with function calls, or better yet sample code? Or
is there a different listserver that has people that can more easily answer
questions like this?

     I am trying to write a program to send serial command data to a
microcontroller to operate an underwater ROV using the joysticks to control
movement and manipulator arms, and buttons to control lights, secondary
cameras, ballast tanks, etc. But without a way to read human input, I don't
have any data to convert into motor commands to control the movement of the
ROV.

Mike