Security-related question

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 12:42:46 MST 2011

Sigh.

I've looked the manual over for tcpdump:

http://www.tcpdump.org/tcpdump_man.html

I've tried the commands:

---
jim at jim-lappy:~$ sudo tcpdump -s 0 -w -i file.pca host 10.0.1.4
[sudo] password for jim:
tcpdump: WARNING: eth0: no IPv4 address assigned
tcpdump: syntax error
jim at jim-lappy:~$ sudo tcpdump -s 0 -w -i any file.pca host 10.0.1.4
tcpdump: WARNING: eth0: no IPv4 address assigned
tcpdump: syntax error
jim at jim-lappy:~$ sudo tcpdump -s 0 -w -i any file.pca
tcpdump: WARNING: eth0: no IPv4 address assigned
tcpdump: syntax error
jim at jim-lappy:~$
---

The man page doesn't give enough examples to tell me how to do this.
Dangit...any idea what the exact syntax might be?

WAIT, nevermind, on a hunch I tried using Wireshark with sudo.  Bingo.
Would have been nice to know...sigh.

Jim