Using KDE but want something different

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sun Feb 20 12:14:49 MST 2011

XFCE, LXDE, or JWM fit what you describe.  Gnome is somewhat close for now, but it has been getting away from the simple desktop approach for a while, and the latest (3.0) is very Mac-like and far less customizable than KDE.
You might also look at WindowMaker (ultra clean/light, but no taskbar) or the Enlightenment Desktop (very nice graphics, but still cleaner than KDE and more customizable than Gnome)