Ubuntu Desktop dns binding help

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Tue Feb 15 13:18:25 MST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Tom Ostlund <tom at ostlundgroup.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have my LAMP setup working just fine but I would like to setup dns so that
> I can fully test the sites that I am working on locally. This is where
> google fails me. I can see all kinds of stuff for Ubuntu Server but not
> really anything for Ubuntu Desktop.
>
> Can anyone send me a link to a NOOB tutorial on setting this up?
> Thanks
> Tom
> Mesa, Az

Tom,

+1 hosts
The easiest, and simplest thing to do is to just add an entry in your
hosts file that short-circuits the normal name resolution of your
remote site - like pointing google.com to localhost, but more
meaningful. It is easy to do and undo, but it is only for the simplest
of tests. If you need more, look into setting up your own dns server.
etc etc

Ed