Ubuntu Desktop dns binding help

Kevin Fries kfries6 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 10:59:35 MST 2011

On 02/15/2011 10:42 AM, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> Tom,
>    Are you certain you need DNS and not, say, an entry in your hosts file (/etc/hosts)?
> Usually when testing I just add a hosts entry for the domain in question to the test client boxes and/or servers and that resolves things without having to mess with DNS.

Local testing for connectivity is a dangerous tactic anyway.

If there are no firewalls or other local security, you will get the same
result testing against localhost as you would your local file system.
So therefore there is no need for DNS at all.

However, if you are trying to insure everything will operate against
your public IP for say diagnostic issues, you need to hit your machine
from outside your local network or at least from outside your local box
(for a site available only inside your firewall).

If you don't, you are in serious risk of issuing the following words,
designed to irritate everyone... "But it works on my machine"

Kevin