Looking for Laptop Recommendations

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 16:27:50 MST 2011

Something to look at also might be XenClient, So with an Intel chil
that supports vtxd and vt you can have windows and linux side by side.
I have used it and it realy is possibly the coolest VM implementation
i have yet to use.

To sum up you have a bare metal hypervisor. but you still have
graphics and that can be shared between 2 guest OS's on the same
hardware. this does require a little bit of consideration of the
hardware you will use and maybe more ram than you might normally
choose, but when i used it it was amazing because you can run both and
switch smoothly between them.

http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/product.asp?contentID=2300325
and i think you cna set it up for personal use for free still.

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Ed <plug at 0x1b.com> wrote:
> Suggested: 4 Gig of RAM is best, if you go with a notebook make sure
> the ATOM chip will do hardware virtualization[1]. I mention a notebook
> because long battery life and small size will be appreciated by your
> daughter. and it is more likely to survive than a full size laptop.
> don't worry about processor speed - anything over 1ghz is enough for
> linux
>
> [1] http://ark.intel.com/products/family/29035
>
> Happy New Year All!!
>
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Mark Phillips
> <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
>> My daughter needs a "new" laptop for high school. It needs to run Debian or
>> Ubunrtu and have enough horsepower to run Windows XP in VMware Player for
>> iTunes. A refurbished machine is OK. I am mostly interested in what you
>> would recommend as minimum hardware specs (processor 7 RAM) for this
>> configuration. Also, if you have another suggestion for running Linux and
>> iTunes, I am all ears! ;)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mark

Stephen