Looking for Laptop Recommendations

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 15:29:01 MST 2011

I jsut got a Dell D620 Core Duo 2.0 ghx laptop. had some spare ram and
hdd got the thing for less than 100 then had to spend about 8 on a new
power supply and 3 on a hdd caddy. but they are champs and it was a
little scuffed up, wich worked out becuase i was able to clena all of
it out with a little cleaning and elbow grease. borrowed an XP install
disk from work fro dell laptops and use the coa on the bottom of the
machine.

However ubuntu 10.10 worked very well on it when i was useing a live
cd to do some testing to verify the battery.

i cant speak well enough for the 620/630 series of laptops, they are
freaking tanks.

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 09:43:19AM -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
>> > I would think she should have at least 2 GB memory for that so the VM
>> > could
>> > have 1 GB.  I'd also like to see at least a core 2 duo for better
>> > virtualization support and reduced power needs.
>> >
>> > I happened to be at ASU Surplus (SE corner of 101 and Rio Salato) the
>> > other
>> > day.  I was not looking for a laptop, but I saw they had a number of
>> > laptops including a Dell Latitude D610 or D620.  I did not look to see
>> > what
>> > any of them had.
>>
>> Any idea (in general) what shape laptops from there would be in? I
>> imagine they might be pretty well beat. Notice any prices?
>

> I really didn't notice much about them.  Which also means they did not look
> beat up.  Sorry, I was there to look at something else which happened to be
> on the next table and which turned out to be overpriced IMHO.
>>

>> --
>> Bob Holtzman
>> If you think you're getting free lunch,
>> check the price of the beer.
>> Key ID: 8D549279

> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
>
> Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
> multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
> CC:. Also remove all of the addresses from the message body before
> forwarding the message. These simple measures prevent spy programs from
> capturing the addresses shown in the recipient list and the message body.

Stephen