New UPS

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 10:36:33 MST 2011

The manufacturer states rather strongly that unplugging the UPS is a BAD
way to test it since that also removes the ground circuit.  So far, my best
idea is to go out to the electrical box and flip the relevant circuit
breaker off.

The point though, is even that only tests the UPS.  I would need to leave
it off long enough for the UPS to request (via that USB cable) that the
computer do an orderly shutdown which could take 30 minutes or more.  And
worse, I would not know if a non-event meant a failure on the part of the
UPS signaling system or the Linux side not making use of the signal event
since I still have no idea what to check for.

I bring all this up because my last UPS failed to protect the computer so
now I am paranoid about it.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2011, at 2:06 AM, Dazed_75 wrote:
>
> > I just put in a replacement UPS (Tripp-Lite G1010USB) and connected the
> USB cable.  I see that Ubuntu 10.04 does see it but I have no idea how to
> tell if it will actually pay attention if the UPS ever tells it to shut
> down.  Short of a power failure, how can one know?
>
> Unplug the UPS from the wall?

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Also remove all of the addresses from the message body before
forwarding the message. These simple measures prevent spy programs from
capturing the addresses shown in the recipient list and the message body.