Networking Ubuntu11.10, Mint12, and XP

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 01:14:40 MST 2011

information:
192.168.0.0->unknown (Do you know what this is)
192.168.0.1-> modem configuration
windows box-> 192.168.0.2
ubuntu box->192.168.0.3
mint box-> 192.168.0.4 (wifi)
mint box-> 192.168.0.5 (eth0)

There is a slight problem: If I am on the Ubuntu computer and open a
terminal and enter
     nautilus <windows box>
it will happily do so. I can even open documents up and print them if I
want. But, if I try to open the windows computer from the mint box an error
message appears that says, 'Could not find "/home/bmike1/192.168.0.2".'
Then I thought making it 'http://192.168.0.2' might help  but a different
error appears. This saying:
     ''Could not find 'http://192.168.0.2'.
     "Error: DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive
     "reply.... (I'm sure you know the rest of this error msg)"
I get this same error if I try to open the ubuntu machine from Mint.
In the nautilus window (under Network) is the selection to 'Browse
Network'. If I select that I expect everything on my network that can be
browsed to be listed. Sure enough when I open it  I see 'Windows Network'
but when I select that I don't see 'my documents' (which I open to  after
entering 'nautilus 192.168.0.2) but rather MS HOME and WORKGROUP. If I
select MSHOME a window appears saying 'Opening MSHOME. You can stop this
operation by clicking cancel'. Then another error pops up saying, 'Unable
to mount location. Failed to receive share list from server.' If I select
WORKGROUP the same previous two errors appear.

If I am on the Ubuntu box and enter  [code]nautilus <mint box> [/code]the
nautilus window appears with a network folder with the title 'print$'. What
is this?
You know.... I just edited the second MSHOME error and I realize that I
think that is telling me my problem. It is not seeing the share list. So I
just figured out how to share folders.  So I share a directory but when I
open nautilus on another computer  the folder isn't in the Browse Network
folder.

so I just figured out a big goof! I named my home directory the same as my
user name. the computer doesn't like that and neither does nautilus! I
tried changing it back from the command line but when I do nautilus looks
for the original name.
So what can I do to fix this?

More info:
bmike1 at Michael-Desktop-PC:~$ smbtree
Enter bmike1's password:
WORKGROUP
    \\MICHAELHAVENS-L        michaelhavens-Laptop server (Samba, LinuxMint)
cli_start_connection: failed to connect to MICHAELHAVENS-L<20> (0.0.0.0).
Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
    \\MICHAEL-DESKTOP-        Michael-Desktop-PC server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        \\MICHAEL-DESKTOP-\Photosmart-C7200-series-Fax    HP Fax
        \\MICHAEL-DESKTOP-\Photosmart-C7200-series    HP Photosmart C7200
series
        \\MICHAEL-DESKTOP-\IPC$               IPC Service
(Michael-Desktop-PC server (Samba, Ubuntu))
        \\MICHAEL-DESKTOP-\print$             Printer Drivers
MSHOME
    \\SONYDESKTOP            Sony Desktop
cli_start_connection: failed to connect to SONYDESKTOP<20> (0.0.0.0). Error
NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
bmike1 at Michael-Desktop-PC:~$

the smbtree on the laptop is exactly the same.

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 11:45 PM, AZ RUNE <arizona.rune at gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone may have answered this, or you might have mentioned it, but do you
> have Samba for box trying & failing to browse the windows machine?
>
> On Dec 10, 2011 11:17 PM, "Michael Havens" <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I got the two linux boxes printing and the ubuntu can browse both the lap
> top and MS. the problems I'm having is getting the laptop to  browsethe
> other two machines and getting the the windows machine to see the printer.
> when I try to access either machine from the laptop I get a 'Could not
> display....' error. I think I know what my problem is with the laptop.....
> it can not see the shared folder of the ubuntu machine. Where is this
> folder? I don't know about the MS issue.
>

> On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Ben Browning <benb at bensbrowning.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Wirelessly is irr...
>
> --