starting a file from another directory with a script

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 23:49:55 MST 2011

i ACTUALLY THINK i UNDERSTOOD THAT!

I hope Brian doesn't kick me out for all the post title changing I did. But
hey.... if the topic changes shouldn't you change the post title too? Too
make it easier to search for information! That is the main reason I posted
that..... too add to the pool of knowledge that is PLUG. I know it is
simple but hey there are sure too be other newbies that come here and are
too shy to ask anything. Whereas I talk to much!

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 11:01 PM, James Mcphee <jmcphe at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you do the dot and then space, and then the file name (with path unless
> it's in $PATH), then it will execute in the current shell.  That means you
> can set your prompt or whatnot and it will affect your current shell.
>
> . /path/to/script
>
> I use this to do things like set my prompt and whatnot.  It's basically
> shorthand for calling "source".
>
> The technical details are that it does not fork a new process and run the
> program in the new shell, but will run it in the current process space.
>  Instead of a fork and exec, it just issues an exec.
>
> The "." in ./script is shorthand for your current directory.  That's why
> when you do an "ls -al" you see "." and "..".  The ".." is parent
> directory, so it's a way of saying "back up a directory".  If you're in
> /home/name/blah/yadda, and you want to execute /home/name/lala, then issue
> "../../lala/script"
>
> Anyway, just giving you more info to confuse you :)
>
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I put the right terms into google finally and found out to put a full
>> path name without the leading dot. I always thought that the dot meant that
>> you were telling the computer you were running a program (you know- ./).
>> Silly me.
>> --

> James McPhee
> jmcphe at gmail.com