What is the big deal with 64 bit processing?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Dec 3 01:43:58 MST 2011

I don't think it's a function of the 64bit os that is causing
perceptible slowness.  I've used a 64bit os and 32 for a good time,
really never noticed a difference - disks were always the
differentiator.  I began using 64bit's entirely when I began using
8-16gb regularly of ram on a box, but otherwise isn't a reason.

Ubuntu has a disk performance tool in their disk manager, mint may too,
I'd use that to check and see if your drive speed is worth a darn before
I suspect cpu arch.  Install htop as well and see what is using
resources.  Use gkrellm or system monitor tools to check cpu/memory/disk
usage too.  You'll often find if something is making your access slower,
htop or the others will show it.

-mb