SecureDigitaDrive

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 01:32:25 MST 2011

Yeah, there's a slot somewhere on your new 'pooter that holds an SD
camera memory card.  Linux sees a socket for it, but with no card in
it's not readable.  No biggie.  It's about an inch wide, and probably
has a plastic "filler card" in there now.  Push it in to release.

SD is the most common type of camera memory.  The slot should also be
able to read SDHD (cards bigger than 2gig, running up to 32gig!) and
with an adapter, you can read MicroSD cards as used in a lot of modern
phones, music players, etc.  If your phone or whatever takes MicroSD
cards, you can buy the memory card (about the size of a fingernail!)
along with the adapter letting you read the micro size in the standard
SD slot on your lappy.

Here's what such a kit looks like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134527

The bigger one has no chips/memory in it at all, just a slot in one
end for the little guy.  The little one has the memory and fits in
your phone or whatever.

If your phone has a MicroSD slot, I strongly recommend filling it with
one of these so you can do "emergency use" pics and with most phones,
videos.  Here's the best video I ever took with a phone's camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIFmKw7F4Bw

I wasn't planning on taping that, just said "what the hell", went for
it.  Came out OK.  This was a small flip-phone I had at the time - the
fumbling at the beginning was me setting it up while still sitting on
the panel.

Jim