networking ubuntu and mint

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Dec 2 11:32:44 MST 2011

From: Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com>
> No MAC. Two Linux boxes and 1 Windows XP box.  Is there a way to
> make it so that I can have the desktop of the other computer on
> another or else is this all text?
[snip]

That's a bit of a different question, and has nothing to do with NFS.  This is
more like "remote access".  There are a bunch of ways; here are the most
popular:

VNC/TightVNC : Totally cross-platform, tested, stable, etcetera.  On 'Doze,
TightVNC Server will, if run, make the 'Doze desktop available to clients.  On
Linux, you want x11vncserver or its GUIfied/friendly counterparts KDE Desktop
Sharing or the GNOME equivalent (vino?).  Many clients exist.  Pick your
favorite; they usually have "vnc" in their name somewhere.  NOTE:  vncserver
and tightvncserver create a virtual Display instead of sharing an
already-existing Display.

Windows Desktop Sharing : A 'Doze box can share its desktop to remote clients.
 There's a Linux client called rdesktop that works pretty well.  Last I
checked, there was a proof-of-concept Linux server that didn't work all that
well, so this is pretty much one-way only.

NXServer : Proprietary free as in beer, but quite fast over low-bandwidth
links.  It's a bit of a pain to set up.  It works well once it's been set up.

X11 : Can be used, usually isn't, since most modern X servers are started with
-nolisten tcp , and GTK+ apps tend to behave badly when not able to connect to
a local X socket.

sshing to a Linux box is usually much faster than dragging a GUI around.  But
there are ways if you really need them.  Don't forget that you can "ssh -Y
remotehost xclient" to ssh to remotehost, then tunnel X over ssh, so that
xclient is running on remotehost, but displaying on your local Display, which
may be useful in some cases.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows