networking ubuntu and mint

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 07:18:01 MST 2011

A server is defined by the role you place on it. so you can choose any
computer to be a "server"

That being said there is hardware that is specifically designed to be
used in a server role. but for your purposes it is not needed (and
expensive).

My suggestion would be to pick the one that you are willing to leave
on to host your data. go with the most convenient to do this with and
then bingo you have it.

There are a number of great walkthroughs for NFS...

This was in my bookmark links for some time, not a bad read:
http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubuntu-as-mac-file-server-and-time-machine-volume/

I only post it because you did mention there was a mac someplace in
your house, and this might be relevant.

but the Ubuntu forums have some awesome walk through's for just about
anything (the only reasons i was so fond of Ubuntu for so long,
freaking amazing documentation available)

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 12:49 AM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> yeah I should have done this before I wrote but I asked google how to
> apt-get it . and it did..... so I didn't need to ask. Sorry! I thought it
> would be something simple like apt-get nfs. But when I found out it wasn't I
> figured it was complex and I needed to ask. Google first! then you.
>

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> then it looks as if I'm going to abuse myself and go with NFS! So I guess
>> I need to choose one of the three computers in my network to be the server.
>> How can I tell the computer it is going to be a server? I was told that a
>> linux server is merely a linux desktop with different programs installed by
>> default.   ???? Hmmmmm.... now that I think of it that doesn't make much
>> sense. What programs do I need to install to make ubuntu 11.10 desktop into
>> ubuntu 11.10 server?
>>
>> I just attempted to apt-get nfs but the shell is 'unable to locate' the
>> package. Do I need to add a website to the repository list?
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:56 PM, James Mcphee <jmcphe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> or sshfs.  a lot more overhead, but runs in userspace.
>>>
>>> I usually use nfs for those things.

>>> --
>>> James McPhee
>>> jmcphe at gmail.com