determining processor

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Thu Dec 1 12:52:13 MST 2011

Michael,

Linux is nothing if not a chatty beast ;-)

To find out everything you every wanted to know about your CPU, you can
look at /proc/cpuinfo.

My system I am on right now is a System76 Lemur, and it runs a I3
mobile.  If I look in that file, I will see:

vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU       U 330  @ 1.20GHz
cpu MHz		: 1199.000

among other things.  But the real keys to the kingdom is a field called
FLAGS.

flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology
nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16
xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm arat dts tpr_shadow vnmi
flexpriority ept vpid

You Google those flags and you will find out EXACTLY what your CPU does
and does not support.  So, to answer your question specifically, I look
in the flags and see a flag "lm", which stands for "long mode" which is
uber-geek speak for 64bit mode.

And sure enough, my system is running Ubuntu 11.10 in 64 bit mode.

Hope this Helps
Kevin