Ubuntu Linux losing popularity fast. New Unity interface to blame? | Royal Pingdom

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Dec 1 00:49:13 MST 2011

Correct, though those came long after it'd already nauseated me the
first time.  When I needed to compile everything I needed anyways, slack
was a much better option - in 1999.

Fast forward to 2007, the last time I purposely had to deal with RHEL,
my experiences were not all that dissimilar.  Much of the software I use
is of a network monitoring nature (snmp, perl, pgsql), and for better or
worse a lot of dependencies that simply didn't exist in repos.  I ended
up having to compile a lot of things, and still fell into weird linking
errors to things that were simply never an issue in ubuntu whether I had
to roll my own or not.  It was just as cranky as it was 7 years prior.

Perhaps I'm a bit grizzled and stubborn, but I really don't get why I or
my companies should use RH or its ilk.  It's always felt... solaris-ish
- day late, dollar short.  With ubuntu on the poop list these days too,
I need to rediscover new/old options so maybe I'll see what the rpm
loving world has to offer these days.

-mb