ssh questions

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 22:01:39 MST 2011

1) I have a number of machines where I often ssh from one to another.  I
just did that with a regular pair and got:

Warning: the RSA host key for 'triggerfish' differs from the key for the IP
> address '192.168.2.124'
> Offending key for IP in /home/larry/.ssh/known_hosts:2
> Matching host key in /home/larry/.ssh/known_hosts:3
> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
> Linux triggerfish 2.6.32-33-generic #72-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 29 21:07:13 UTC
> 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
>
>  I GUESS but do not KNOW that the known_hosts[2] and [3] refer to the 2nd
and 3rd or 3rd and 4th entries out of the 12 that exist.  I do NOT want to
be editing those all the time so does anyone know a way to avoid that?

2) When I ssh into a machine, it is not clear what if any aliases from
.bashrc or .bash_profile are in play (from the originationg machine/user or
the target?  It often seems like neither.
--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson