This worked Friday

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sun Aug 21 12:41:10 MST 2011

May have been the update, but I've not ever had any kind of update
process blow apart gconf, only random fs errors typically.  It could
have been a bug introduced, but I would say unlikely.  I've not taken
the time to learn the in's and out's of gconf to manually fix the
matter, rather sticking with the brutish rebuild profile/start-over
approach.  The atrocity called Natty has taught me to disable automatic
updates in ubuntu now so no unwanted/unstable packages creep in.

I always layer at least LVM on top of the raw partitions, and sometimes
lvm on top luks, on top md raid.  I expect I'm the only one anal enough
to do this for using linux native on my work laptop (hence crypto) and
thus the fs corruption only manifests with limited users like me.  New
fedora builds use lvm by default now, I'll be curious to see if my pains
go more mainstream now.

-mb