Thinking about a new low-power, cool-running cpu.

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Thu Aug 18 12:32:12 MST 2011

On 08/17/2011 07:21 PM, joe at actionline.com wrote:

> Some time ago, I bought a Lenovo "net-top" computer because of its
> advertised low-power consumption and relatively cool running claims, but
> for several reasons I have not yet installed a Linux system on it -- one
> reason being that it doesn't have a DVD drive.
>
> So, I don't know whether to purchase an external DVD drive or perhaps look
> for another alternative.
>
> I use my computers exclusively for work and do not play games, so I don't
> have huge memory or "horse-power" requirements.
>
> What would you recommend?
>
> Are laptops (hooked up to external keyboard and monitor) suitable to use
> as a "main" system or are "desktop" boxes still the best choice?

If it can PXE boot (from network), Larry has a server that can install
one of several linux distros on it. Bring it on down to an InstallFest.

Alternatively, you might try creating an install DVD image on a USB
drive and use that. I hope to create one for CentOS6 soon, primarily for
servers.

--
-Eric 'shubes'