ubuntu host web access is slower than windows guest vm

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 22:42:44 MST 2011

Josh, the first problem I have with that solution is that it is 2 years and
4 ubuntu releases ago.  But a good explanation of the issues is buried in
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/network-configuration.html

The section I refer to says:

> Name Service Switch Configuration
>
> The order in which your system selects a method of resolving hostnames to
> IP addresses is controlled by the Name Service Switch (NSS) configuration
> file /etc/nsswitch.conf. As mentioned in the previous section, typically
> static hostnames defined in the systems /etc/hosts file have precedence
> over names resolved from DNS. The following is an example of the line
> responsible for this order of hostname lookups in the file
> /etc/nsswitch.conf.
>
> hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
>

>    -
>
>    *files* first tries to resolve static hostnames located in /etc/hosts.
>    -
>
>    *mdns4_minimal* attempts to resolve the name using Multicast DNS.
>    -
>
>    *[NOTFOUND=return]* means that any response of notfound by the
>    preceeding mdns4_minimal process should be treated as authoritative and
>    that the system should not try to continue hunting for an answer.
>    -
>
>    *dns* represents a legacy unicast DNS query.
>    -
>
>    *mdns4* represents a Multicast DNS query.
>
>  To modify the order of the above mentioned name resolution methods, you
> can simply change the hosts: string to the value of your choosing. For
> example, if you prefer to use legacy Unicast DNS versus Multicast DNS, you
> can change the string in /etc/nsswitch.conf as shown below.
>
> hosts:          files dns [NOTFOUND=return] mdns4_minimal mdns4
>
> Personally, though, I just turn on dnsmasq in my router so that all
machines on the LAN are known by the router and it caches them so a dns
resolution workd both for LAN and WAN name resolution.

Larry

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Josh Coffman <joshcoffman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to post the solution in case anyone else runs into this. I was
> starting to think it was because I was running 64 bit Ubuntu and maybe there
> was a driver problem with my NIC. Instead I found the answer here:
>
> Edit nsswitch.conf and change hosts setting to "files mdns4
> [NOTFOUND=return] dns"
>
> After a reboot, web on the ubuntu side performed up to expectations.
>
> Regards,
> -j

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson