Maybe I spoke too soon - name servers

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Apr 29 17:46:14 MST 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 1:59 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was able to create two name servers with the same IP.  I think I was
> blocked from doing this in the past, maybe not.

You do not need two nameservers.

Do not replace your current nameservers or you will be in a world of hurt.

Get this:

Your knee bone (whois record with the internic) is connected to the leg bone
(your primary name servers).

ADD ONLY one server, or your updates and pulling secondary primary records
will break.  If you don't yet know how to pull down your zone records, or
what recursion means or forwarding refers to, heed my warning.

Believe me, you could study for a 1 year and still not know enough to take
on maintaining your DNS via bind.  I know I have done it for 25 years.

Simply add your server to the list - ONE SERVER.

DNS is heavily hacked, be warned, as you open the ports, and be careful to
protect your rdns keys.

(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice

 http://www.it-clowns.com

"If Python is executable pseudocode, then perl is executable line noise."