Server file upload question

leegold at speedymail.org leegold at speedymail.org
Wed Apr 27 20:35:49 MST 2011

> Message: 16
> Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 08:26:39 -0700
> From: Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>
> To: Main PLUG discussion list <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
> Subject: Re: Server file upload question
>
> HI Lee:
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 1:56 AM, <leegold at speedymail.org> wrote:
snip....

> What protocol are you planning to use to "upload"?
>
> 0) WebDAV plugin for Apache2
> 1) ftp
> 2) Php (like from a CMS like Drupal)
> 3) sftp/ssh

Via PHP code. Maybe not the optimal way...

I'm using Lighttpd as the server.

> If you are serving from Apache2, you want to restrict to DocumentRoot (or
> /var/www/html/videos) so you don't have to use symlinks, or hack the
> original security structure, etc. so Apache2 can serve it.
>
> /var/www/
> /var/www/html = DocumentRoot

OK, that's important to know...that's what I wanted to know.

...snip...

> To stream HTML video and SWF Flash (Adobe Coldfusion), you might want a
> full-blown streaming video installation for Apache2 (ignore the proxy
> installation instructions):
> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flashmediaserver/configadmin/WSE2A5A7B9-E118-496f-92F9-E295038DB7DB.html

I have the streaming working. For Apache is installing a module and then
having a flash player in the doc root and having some javascript on the
page. For Lighttpd is just a few lines in it's config file to activate
the modules.

...snip...

> Of course, if you want a searchable Video Entertainment solution you will
> want to setup a CMS
> like Drupal:

Yeah I *tried* for several weeks to get Drupal to stream flash.
Supposedly there are modules that will do it. I begged on the forums.
Never worked. It's really easier to write the PHP code, or rather, adapt
existing code. IMO.

One problem is when they update a CMS it can break existing modules,
esp. complex ones that have a lot of dependencies like a flash streamer
module. IMO.

Thanks,

Lee G.