How to verify Qmail is not configured with an open relay.

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 19:36:44 MST 2011

No, and thank you for the link!

------------------------

Keith Smith

--- On Wed, 4/27/11, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com> wrote:

From: Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>
Subject: Re: How to verify Qmail is not configured with an open relay.
To: "Main PLUG discussion list" <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 7:33 PM

Hi Keith,

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:15 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi All,

I have Qmail Toaster configured on an old ... ancient laptop (1G Celeron,256MB RAM,14GB HD) running CentOS 5.6.  I am so excited to get this configured.

Has a lot of help from the Qmail Toaster list.  They are great!

Here is my question.  8 or 9 years ago I was running Debian and configured the mail server.  I was on an ISP that was friendly to running a server.  So I got the mail server running.  I left it on for several days until my ISP canceled my account because I had somehow configured the server with an open relay.  Someone found it and flooded the internet with spam causing my ISP problems.

So needles to say I do not want to go through that again.

Any idea how I test my configuration to ensure I do not have an open relay
 again?

Did you verify your configuration checked against this?

http://qmail.3va.net/qdp/qmail-antirelay.html

Thanks!

Keith Smith
--