basic LAMP security 101

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Fri Apr 15 07:44:06 MST 2011

Not sure about the reference you're asking for but minimally do this:

   1. Disable root login via ssh (usually in /etc/ssh/sshd_config ->
   PermitRootLogin no)
   2. Change default ssh port in same file to something other than 22
   3. install fail2ban or denyhosts
   4. Disable any services you don't need/use
   5. Use security enhanced linux; I'm not an ubuntu guy but this looks
   legit:
      1. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SELinux
   6. not sure it's called the same on ubuntu but I recommend installing
   mod_security / mod_evasive on the web server also.
   7. Check all of your logs daily :)