Ubuntu 11.04, Unity and the "Desktop haters" (like me)

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 20:19:59 MST 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Ted Gould <ted at gould.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 09:10 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> > I really do wish I could remember why your talk calmed some of my
> > apprehension about Unity.  If I can find some time to look for it, I
> > will try to find the online video of it.
>

> http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale9x/presentations/unity-why-does-it-matter

OK, I re-watched this and am not quite sure what caused my positive
reaction.  Best I can come up with is the "design for everyone group"
argument and the generally positive audience reactions.  I know I liked SOME
of the Unity interface, but still mourn the loss of some things I am
accustomed to.  Part of progress in general I guess.

I can say that I saw a 26 minute Unity review today that echoes a lot of my
feelings.  I don't agree with it all, but I think it is worth the time.  It
is mostly narration as the "video" has very little more than a series of
screenshots.  Yet it makes its points clearly.

  http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/unity-design-review-video/

> --
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson