Looking for October presenters for PLUGdev

James Dugger james.dugger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 23:53:37 MST 2010

Mike

I'm a Civil Engineer and spend much of my day buried in AutoCAD drawings,
writing engineering reports in MS Word, analyzing projects using MS project,
We run macros and calculations in Excel and convert things back and of forth
between AutoCAD and MS Office products by importing and exporting things
through XML.  I am also building the company intranet among other things.

I will always have a CAD workstation running Windows, AutoCAD and MS office
and other higher end software on my desk at work.  So I understand.  I have
switched to Linux at home because I cannot afford to maintain all of the
computers in my home with Windows products.  I am counting on Linux to fill
the need at home and to build a web development environment at home were I
do most of my intranet development.

Although I have some experience professionally doing IT with some of the
companies I have worked for, it has never been my primary job.  When I turn
on my computer it is to develop web pages and dynamic content.  My family
will use their systems to surf the web, right home work reports, do basic
accounting, listen to or watch media content and doodle.

With this perspective on my use and needs I hope that it becomes a little
more understandable that I don't plan on trying to know how to tweak Linux
to run on 30,000 blade servers in a data center, or to build  and maintain
high end load balanced virtual servers or an enterprise level LAN or WAN.  I
want to know enough about Linux to configure a moderately basic LAN at home
with decent security for it.  That is the first real milestone.  After 3
months of pouring through books and researching the net I still cannot tell
you if my file permission is really talking to Samba correctly or if I have
set up the file mount points with the right settings.  (Drupal was having
file access issues on a test install just the other night).

What is my point?  I am not your average computer user but the average ones
would have been scared off by know.  And they aren't going to go pay to go
school to learn an OS unless they are planning to go into IT.  Because
frankly they aren't in to computers to learn OS's.  Case in point:  AutoCAD
(basic) has more than 4,000 commands  Civil3D has double that and runs on
top of a GIS graphical engine tied to a database structure the rivals
an Oracle database engine.  To be competent in Civil Engineering and to
build engineering models with that one application will take 6 years minimum
(that does not include the engineering degree or becoming licensed)  That is
a total of ten years of a person's life devoted to learning a highly
technical field and use one program.

If we the users of Linux are going to bring in more users than they need to
have early and consistent success with there OS configurations.  Because
although you are technically correct about Linux vs Windows vs OSX, human
beings hate change, and it is our nature to judge negatively the things we
don't understand, regardless of the accuracy of our assessment.

James