libreoffice, good news or bad news

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Tue Sep 28 21:32:25 MST 2010

Thanks to the copyright assignment requirement for OO.o, Oracle does own all OO.o copyrights at this point.
The copyright statement will change if and when new contributions outside of that copyright assignment become significant.
Then it will read Oracle and others, because Oracle will still own a lot of copyrights (unless they sell them) in the codebase for a long time to come.

Thank goodness OO.o was relicensed, before the Oracle takeover, to LGPLv3; the previous CDDL licensing would have prevented this fork entirely.

From the way I read the materials it seems copyright assignment will still be part of the project, but more along the lines of the FSF assignment, which is a lot easier to swallow than the Sun (now Oracle) model.

==Joseph++

P.S. Thanks to that same LGPLv3 license; Oracle can't even assert patents against LibreOffice, at least not without major consequences.  True "Free Software" licenses, like the GPL and LGPL, defend against a lot of bad actors, and empower the community to route around them; most "Open Source" licenses lack those features.