libreoffice, good news or bad news

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Tue Sep 28 11:12:26 MST 2010

I just recieved this press release view the openoffice announce mailing
list.

http://www.documentfoundation.org/contact/tdf_release.html

After reading it, I don't really get whats going on.  Is Openoffice.org
yet another project that Oracle has dropped the ball on leaving people
to try and save the project via other means?

Does this mean that the funding that Sun was previously putting into the
project is now gone, and it's all down to volunteers to improve libreoffice.

Of course this also could mean that there are no more people at
Sun/Oracle putting stuff in open/libre office that fits their own agenda.

What is your take on this?  Anyone read anything else that might clear
up what is going on?

Brian Cluff