Looking for October presenters for PLUGdev

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Mon Sep 27 15:36:34 MST 2010

n Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
> Am 26. Sep, 2010 schwätzte M Hoy so:
>
> moin moin,
>
>> in the future I am interested in doing presentations. my main motivation
>> is
>> to work on public speaking skills. the only problem is I don't know what
>> you
>> guys/gals might want to hear me talk about and of course I would also need
>> to have sufficient knowledge in that area.
>>
>> so anyway I'll be looking into this more and hopefully I can come up with
>> something I feel I can go over in detail and still be able to answer those
>> questions at the end which can be very unpredictable.
>
> Sometimes the appropriate answer is, "I don't know.". A presenter doesn't
> need to be an expert in the topic. Sure, that helps :), but it's not even
> a loose requirement.
>
> The key is knowing the actual material being presented. Sometimes that
> meanѕ leaving out large components of a tool, but that's fine. Present
> what you know. There is a maximum time for presentations, but not minimum
> time. In fact, short presentations give us the opportunity to cover
> multiple topics and broaden the potential audience.
>
> BTW, I have had multiple presentations with much more knowledgable people
> in the audience. Those who've spoken up have always been helpful and
> improved my presentation. In some cases it was information beyond the
> scope of the presentation, but useful, so I let the audience participation
> run wild. In at least once case it was instant clarification of everything
> I said ( hi Russ :) ), but in the end the audience got a much improved
> presentation and I learned a lot.
>
> As the presenter it's your choice as to whether or not you allow audience
> participation during your presentation. I do and think that's better, but
> there is no obligation for other presenters.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

what hans said +1

What areas are you interested in?

For example, I have been looking into the new system initiation
process that in Fedora will likely replace sysVinit and Upstart pretty
soon*. If people are interested, I can make a presentation that I
think would make a good introduction, but I'm no kernel hacker so I'll
be on a bit of a learning curve myself. As many can attest, a not all
that unfamiliar location...  PLUGdev presentations are typically
informal, a relaxed chat if you wish. with pictures. and a topic.
Sometimes canned goods too - if we're lucky. From a developers
perspective, this presentation will be useful for those setting up
daemons, among other things too.

It all comes down to what you are experienced with, and what you are
interested in - make a list & volunteer!

Ed

*sooner than it should, but then that's Fedora for ya.