kphotoalbum, kipi and gallery2

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Sep 20 00:40:03 MST 2010

moin moin,

I've been using kphotoalbum for several years. I'm mostly happy with it,
especially now that I finally looked at tokens for speading up photo
classification.

It's been a bit slow recently, but I have tens of thousands of pictures
for it to track.

I recently went through and organized at least 5k pictures. I created
several groupings using keywords.

I'd like to export those groupings to gallery2. kphotoalbum can use kipi
plugins and one of those exports to gallery2. Unfortunately it doesn't
work. Even more unfortunately the only documentation on the plugin says
there is no documentation. Even if it actually worked, it's not exporting
the grouping, rather it's allowing me to once again choose pictures by
hand from the tens of thousands of images on disk.

I found a perl script that converts kphotoalbum data to digikam data. 6
hours later I had a digicam sqlite DB. 1 hour later digikam finished
opening. After 7 hours to convert to digikam I found that it had lost all
the categorization data and still couldn't export to gallery. The kipi
plugins were originally written for digikam, so there are many posts out
there suggesting to try it.

There is a way to export photos from kphotoalbum for import into another
kphotoalbum instance. I did that for one of the groupings. Didn't take all
that long. On the second machine I could just select all ( which doesn't
always work ) for the transfer, but it still wouldn't work.

So, any suggestions on how I can replace all this with something that
works? Obviously I want to maintain the descriptions and categories I've
spent hours and hours creating. If I have to, I can probably use the perl
script to rip out data from kphotoalbum and figure out how to shove it
into something else.

I'm also not tied to gallery2, but I've been happy with it in the past. I
foolishly believed there would be good support for exporting to it since
it's been around for a decade and it's well-known. I also liked gallery2
because there's support for it in drupal.

I will not do all this categorization via a web interface, but I need to
put hundreds of the pictures on my web site. Most will be private ( family
stuff ) and not available for public viewing.

kphotoalbum does do an html export of sorts. I would like to have some of
the advanced features of gallery2. Indeed, I was looking forward to using
this to get refamiliar with gallery2 :).

I also need to export some of the pictures to my Android phone and maybe
an Android notebook. I think I can just shove them in the correct
directory on the Android. Haven't tried as the web thing is the highest
priority.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Human kind cannot bear very much reality."
#    -- T.S. Eliot, "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton"