[OT] android phone, possible to get a good deal?

M Hoy mhoy06 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 05:59:03 MST 2010

Considered Cricket?  They've been aggressively advertising 'now with
smartphones', and obviously it's a no-contract endeavour. No knowledge about
tethering; I'm saddled with AT&T, and didn't much care for the Android phone
I tried, so I am the one person using a Pre. :)

I made the mistake of calling cricket wireless. I got an aggressive sales
person who kept saying things like 'I don't advise that' when I mentioned I
wanted to bring in a phone that I bought elsewhere.

The main problem I'm having is giving up control. To me these phones are
basically little computers that also have the ability to act as phones.

So since I compare them to small computers I look at my current situation.

1) I buy or build my own computer
2) I have cox communications or whatever hook up internet access

I don't pay cox for my computer. There are no contracts. I have control.

I have some questions:

When you sign a contract with Verizon/Spring/T-Mobile how does that contract
protect you? I was under the impression that the purpose of a contract was
to serve both parties involved. I don't need a contract, they do.

Why are we buying phones made by samsung or motorola from Verizon or Sprint?
They didn't make the phone. They provide the service.

Why aren't more people upset about this?

I feel like the cell phone industry is too spoiled. They know they can do
ridiculous things. For example:

I contacted verizon and they said I could use 900 minutes between (can't
recall the exact times) 6 am to 9pm mon-fri.

Ok why is that? Why do I have limits during those hours on those days? Why
those times and days? Is the equipment more expensive to operate during
these times? Is there some practical reason for this? Or is it all just
meant to bring chaos into the budgeting of money and time spent talking.

Imagine if cox communications told me I could watch tv or use the internet
for a set number of minutes mon - fri from 6 am - 9pm. Wouldn't we be
questioning that?