[OT] android phone, possible to get a good deal?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 00:15:43 MST 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 11:22 PM,  <fouldragon at aol.com> wrote:
> Considered Cricket?  They've been aggressively advertising 'now with
> smartphones', and obviously it's a no-contract endeavour. No knowledge about
> tethering; I'm saddled with AT&T, and didn't much care for the Android phone
> I tried, so I am the one person using a Pre. :)

Cricket uses CDMA tech same as Verizon or Sprint.  Which means (with
all three) that if you do get tethering working, you can't do voice at
the same time, period, doesn't matter how much tech in the android
phone you throw at it.  If you're online, you don't have a
phone...unless you run two devices which is what all the CDMA carriers
want you to do.

As it happens, I'm on a long trip in northern AZ right now.  I'm in
Flagstaff.  My TMobile phone has 3G, I'm fully good to go data and
voice.    My buddy is on cricket, separate phone and data device
(USB).  His phone works here, the data device is belly-up.  When we
were in Holbrook, St. John or other such small burgs, my phone still
worked but no 3G, while he was completely down hard.  When I'm not in
a 3G area I still have data, speed sucks but it's workable for basic
stuff.

Data, when they both work, my phone and his Cricket USB critter are
around the same speed.

He's paying slightly more a month than I am.  I'll take my combo any
day of the week.  He wants to switch to what I'm doing :).

Jim