OT - Editing a PDF file in Windoze

Tim Bogart timbogart at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 09:20:29 MST 2010

All,

I have been asked to provide information as part of a job application.  In the
first part of the process, this was done on the web.  Now in this next phase, I
have been asked to provide information by filling out forms.  They would prefer
to have an electronic version of this data.  Unfortunately, they have sent me a
document in .PDF file format.  As we all have known for 20 years or more, these
files are normally set to disallow editing, as this one is.  I'm familiar with
pdf2txt and the rest of the manual tools.  I could go to the local service
bureau and print out twenty of them, but I don't want to spend three days doing
this.  Open office doesn't seem to be able to open a pdf formatted file.  Does
anybody know of a free (as in beer or freedom) application that runs on windoze
that will allow me to edit this file?  I tried something called "Foxit" but it
doesn't work as advertised.  You can't edit text with it.  It acts simply as a
viewer.  Does anybody have personal experience with something that's free that
actually works?

TIA,

-- Tim B.